Thursday, February 15, 2007

Smells Like Spleen Spirit ...

Do I look like I have no idea? Do I display the countenance of a fool? Whatever my friends say at this point, I'd like to think that the depths -- or shallows -- of my mental abilities are not immediately obvious at first glance.

I passed an Italian clothes shop in the City of London which appeared to be in the midst of a closing down sale. I have, in the past, picked up a rather nice pair of brogues from a similar shop having a similar sale so I popped in to see if any footwear bargains were available. The shop assistant caught my eye and I asked whether he had any brown brogues; he enquired as to my shoe size and I told him: size nine. After browsing a few boxes I was informed that although he didn't have any in size nine, he did have sizes eight, seven, and six.

"That's great!" I said, "I sometimes take a six."

"Really!" He sounded pleasantly surprised.

"No," I replied.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh but, why, knowing my size, did the assistant not simply say that he had none that would fit? A half size either way might have been worthy of comment but three sizes too small is really not going to tempt me.

Similarly, when looking on the Internet for a weekend city-break, I was presented with fifty-odd hotels for my chosen period. Most of these hotels, on closer inspection, had no room available over the period I required. Why are you cluttering up my time with things that useless to me?! Why are you presenting me with choices I can't make?!

Probably it's merely to annoy me ...

No comments: